Her Saturn Returns is a project that began in 2011 when the editor began her quest of a tumultuous Saturn Return, and wanted to hear the stories of other queer women of color. The HSR project has morphed into a blog, a play, oral histories, an archive, and now, a Zine series, published as single-issue books under Lambey Press. To learn more about Her Saturn Returns, go to: http://hersaturnreturns.com/about/
The Her Saturn Returns Zine Series is now accepting submissions.
The Zine series includes three tracks:
- HSR. Poetry and art by queer women of color on turning 30 or are experiencing their Saturn’s return. This collection tells stories, reveals their passions, and cries a little.
- Meditations on a Lesbian Separatist. This collection questions concepts of community from a queer woman of color perspective.
- Between Her. Polyamory and other considerations of queer women of color love.
Preference given to submissions that fit one of the above three themes.
Editor: Shawn(ta) Smith with Guest Editors
Payment: A copy of a current Zine issue
Length: 2,500 words or less
Content: Her Saturn Returns Anthology, a series in Queer Women of Color Life Transitions is seeking non-fiction essays, memoir, interviews, and other forms of documentary writing. Pieces are by or about women who are experiencing their 1st Saturn Return -turning 30, or their 2nd Saturn Return -turning 60. All women who identify as queer, lesbian, or bisexual, and of color with a story about their transitional life events may submit. Allies who interview queer women of color who identify as the above may also submit an interview.
Her Saturn Returns submissions:
Please send submissions as .doc or .rtf with pages numbered, 2500 words or less per piece (no minimum), up to three pieces per author, poets, up to five pieces. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org Include in the body of the email:
- your legal name,
- your writing name/pseudonym if applicable,
- a short 100 word or less bio in the third person,
- mailing address, title of the piece(s),
- astrological classification,
- date of birth (to substitute your date of birth, please include your Sun Sign, Saturn Sign, and age).
To submit, please click the appropriate format below:
-if it is academic in nature or context, is a criticism or commentary, editorializing an aspect of turning 30, a pronouncement, or manifesta
-if it is a poem. Poets may submit up to five pieces per submission.
-if the piece is undefinable in format, written poetically, or for performance, with complex formulations
Send all HSR submissions to: email@example.com